Bryan Chapell is a professor of preaching and author of probably the most definitive contemporary book on expositional preaching, Christ-Centered Preaching. I thought his treatment of 2 Timothy was exceptional and practical – meaning of the greatest help to me for the people of UBC. Here are the notes…
2 Timothy 3:10-4:1-5
You bank everything on the truth and nature of the Book. Being reminded of the nature of the book (vv.16-17) is essential to effective ministry.
1) The Word of God is “breathed out” by God, by the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. When the Bible is read, God speaks.
- Luther, “The Church is God’s ‘mouth-house.’”
- God speaks to His people through the Word
- The faithful exposition of the pastor is the voice of God.
- Jesus continues to speak to His people through preaching the Scriptures.
- God has left Himself a witness
2) There are expectations at the preaching of the Word
- Expectation of purity
- Expectation of persecution
- Expectation of power (4:1)
- Jesus is speaker and audience in our preaching
- Resurrection power
- Enables preaching the Word (v.2)
- Expectation of patience (even as you preach with authority)
3) The Hand of Jesus is Present in the Proclamation (the voice of Jesus)
- Ps.19:7-10 (that which inspired by God reflects His nature)
- Perfect (reviving)
- Sure (making wise)
- Right (rejoicing)
- Pure (enlightening)
- Clean (enduring)
- True (righteous)
- Desireable (satisfying)
- At least 3000 times in the Bible “thus saith the Lord” is used in one form or another
- The idolatry of self will be confronted
- The isolation of self will be addressed
4) The Heart of God is revealed in the Word Proclaimed (His voice)
- Apart from him there is heartlessness
- Only God is perfect, and the sacred writings (OT) led Timothy to understanding the gospel.
- It is the Word that has done this – given Timothy a heart for God
- When you have the voice, hand and heart of God, you have Jesus (the Word proclaimed is the presence of Christ with His people)
- Ps.119:131 – God revealing Himself in His Word (the Law) that the only satisfying drink is to know all that we can know about God and fulfilling all that pleases Him
- The way you give your people Him, is by giving them His Word!!!