This was sent to me this morning, and I found it quite amusing…
25 Easy Ways to Curb the Annoying Problem of Church Growth:
1. Begin your message with the phrase, “You know what’s wrong with you people…”
2. Place the student Sunday school space near the “Ruth class” for ladies 70 and above.
3. Move business meetings to Sunday morning and open up the floor by asking, “So does anybody have a beef?”
4. Begin that year-long sermon series on the 40 weeks of Daniel.
5. Place a polygraph machine on the front pew to be used during the invitation time.
6. Place tire puncture strips in the parking lot for cars going the wrong way before Sunday school.
7. Pick a NASCAR driver as your favorite and complain about all the other drivers (this works best in Alabama, maybe Arkansas too?).
8. Place the roller coaster “You must be this tall” sign at the entrance of the worship center. (And make it stand about 5′ 8 1/2″)
9. Keep the Christmas pageant livestock in the church choir room year ’round.
10. Announce that on high attendance Sunday, if the goal is met, everyone will kiss the pig!
11. If your auditorium slopes downward to the platform, give every kid under 12 a handful of marbles before the service.
12. Give deacons the ability to “gong” the special music.
13. Place the outdoor welcome center tent a few feet from the septic tank.
14. Replace the pictures of former pastors with pictures of Larry, Moe, and Curly (with our history, and my hair, I guess I’d be Curly)
15. Start arranging marriages in the singles department.
16. Put a blank for “weight” on the membership information forms.
17. Invite the “cops” crew along during hospital visits.
18. Demand mandatory drug tests for all senior adult excursions.
19. In order to feel relevant, say “Dude” 15 times from the pulpit each Sunday.
20. Have the organist play hockey cheers at pivotal moments of the sermon.
21. Place armed guards in front of the Sunday school supply closet.
22. Before the offertory hymn, have the worship leader scream, “Show me the money!”
23. Charge tolls for the use of restrooms.
24. Illustrate all sermons or Sunday school lessons with scenes from “Walker, Texas Ranger.”
25. Use the “American Idol” format for staff hirings.