Here are TEN good questions in evaluating the church, especially if you are considering UBC or some other church to join. These questions come from Josh Harris’ book Stop Dating the Church.
1. Is this church where God’s Word is faithfully taught? (2 Tim. 3:16)
2. Is this a church where sound doctrine matters? (Acts 2:42; 2 Tim 4:3-4)
3. Is this a church in which the gospel is cherished and clearly proclaimed?
4. Is this a church committed to reaching non-Christians with the gospel? (Matt. 28:18-20)
5. Is this a church whose leaders are characterized by humility and integrity? (1 Tim. 3)
6. Is this a church where people strive to live by God’s Word? (James 1:22)
7. Is this a church where I can find and cultivate godly relationships?
8. Is this a church where members are challenged to serve? (Eph. 4:12)
9. Is this a church that is willing to kick me out? (1 Cor. 5; 2 Cor. 2)
10. Is this a church I’m willing to join “as is” with enthusiasm and faith in God?